• Audio-Führung
  • Hörspiel
    für Kinder
  • Audio-
    Führung für

Town wall

The view from Weierhohl of Saint Martin’s parish church and the town wall with its towers below is one of the most scenic in Olpe. It also provides an impression of the town’s medieval history. It was not until Cologne Elector and Archbishop, Count Heinrich II of Virneburg granted the town charter that the inhabitants of Olpe were permitted to protect their settlement with a fortified wall. The wall, built of irregularly cut greywacke stones, was originally interspersed by four round towers. Only the Hexenturm or witches’ tower has survived, while the Engelsturm or angel tower was not rebuilt until 1961. The town wall was divided into three gateways and two doors. After the great fire of 1795, the wall was demolished as it had long since ceased to serve as a protective barrier and was hampering the town’s expansion. Its stones were also badly needed to rebuild the town. The section of the town wall that also secured the historic town hill (Altstadthügel) above the Olpe has been preserved, including the Hexenturm and the base of the present-day Engelsturm as well as the “Lüttge Pörtgen”, a side gate that led to Weierhohl. This part of the town wall was restored between 1957 and 1963 after it was severely damaged by bombing raids during World War II. A small town park was also laid out at that time in Weierhohl, an area once mainly inhabited by tanners who carried out their trade here.

Overview of points of interest